USC 62, Washington 60
Date: March 5, 2011
Venue: Hec Edmundson Pavilion
Washington found itself in another grinding affair, this time with USC. The Trojans were able to slow the game and control rebounding for a 62-60 win. On Senior Night, Washington shot just 2-for-16 from behind the 3-point line and closed the year losing two of the three final home games.
Star of the game
Jio Fontan Washington defenders had trouble all night keeping Fontan in front of them. His ability to drive and score or pass allowed the Trojans to build a quick nine-point lead. Whenever he came out, which was just for three minutes, USC struggled.
Play of the game
Down 56-50 with 3:13 remaining, Washington allowed three USC offensive rebounds. The Trojans ran almost a full two minutes off the clock during the stretch.
- Washington shot just 2-for-16 from behind the three-point line.
- Aziz NDiaye Did not score and did not collect a rebound in just 12 minutes.
- Terrence Ross Did not get onto the floor for the first time this season.
- C.J. Wilcox Was just 1-for-7 from the field a game after scoring 24 in a half.
- Darnell Gant Grabbed two rebounds in 15 minutes.
- Venoy Overton Started on Senior Night and scored 15 points to go with five rebounds and four assists.
- Scott Suggs Scored 14 points on efficient 6-of-8 shooting.
- Justin Holiday Was 0-for-6 from the field. Did not score in his final home game.
- Matthew Bryan-Amaning Scored 11 points and pulled in six rebounds in his final home game.
- Isaiah Thomas Finished with a team-high 16 points.
- “We haven’t been as consistent as we’d like and that cost us seven games.” Isaiah Thomas, Washington guard
- “Our guys understand our backs are really, really against the wall right now.” Lorenzo Romar, Washington head coach
- “If I knew, we wouldn’t be starting so slow.” Isaiah Thomas, Washington guard, on the Huskies’ recent slow starts
- “We got to regroup.” Lorenzo Romar, Washington head coach
- 12.5 Percentage Washington shot from behind the three-point line.
- 8. Number of assists for Washington Saturday night against USC.
- 7. Number of turnovers for Washington Saturday night against USC.
- 3. Washington players who were scoreless, two of which, Aziz N’Diaye and Justin Holiday, started the game.