The American League selected Seattle’s Jason Vargas as its Pitcher of the Month Thursday after the left-hander posted a 5-0 record with a 1.64 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 44.0 innings. Vargas, who limited opponents to a .206 batting average, is the 14th pitcher in franchise history to go 5-0 in any month and is Seattle’s first Pitcher of the Month since Cliff Lee in June 2010.
For the season, Vargas is 12-7, 3.71 with 100 strikeouts in 153.0 innings covering 23 starts. He has already established a season high in wins.
Among qualifying starters, the 29-year-old finished first in the AL in ERA, and was second in wins and innings pitched. Vargas’ July starts:
- July 1 (ND, 7-7): At Safeco Field, lost to Boston 2-1; one run on five hits over 8.0 innings; struck out six, walked two, one home run.
- July 7 (W, 8-7): Vs. Oakland at Safeco Field, won 7-1 with a complete-game seven-hitter; struck out six and walked one, throwing 107 pitches, 66 for strikes.
- July 16 (W, 9-7): At Kansas City, won 9-4; three earned runs on seven hits in 6.0 innings; struck out three, walked three, two home runs.
- July 21 (W, 10-7): At Tampa Bay, won 2-1; one unearned run on seven hits in 6.0 innings; struck out five, walked three, threw 108 pitches, 67 for strikes.
- July 26 (W, 11-7): At Safeco Field, defeated Kansas City 4-1 for his 11th win; one earned run on one hit over 8.0 innings; struck out five and walked three.
- July 31 (W, 12-7): At Safeco Field, defeated Toronto 7-2; two earned runs on five hits over 7.0 inningsl fanned four, walked one, throwing 103 pitches, 70 for strikes.
Others receiving votes included Vargas teammate Felix Hernandez (3-0, 2.03 ERA, 29 SO); Angels right-hander Jered Weaver (6-0, 2.23 ERA, 26 SO); Rays left-hander David Price (3-0, 1.78 ERA, 44 SO) and closer Fernando Rodney (8 SV, 13.0 IP, 13 SO); and Rangers starter Scott Feldman (3-0, 1.96 ERA, 1 BB, 14 SO).