The Mariners’ double play combination of shortstop Brendan Ryan and second baseman Dustin Ackley are finalists for the American League Gold Glove awards their respective positions. Ryan and Ackley anchored the Mariners defense that tied for the American League lead with a .988 fielding percentage, second-best in club history.
Ryan and Ackley also combined for a MLB-high 38 defensive runs saved, the most by any middle-infield combination in the majors, according to Baseball Info Solutions.
Ryan, 30, led all shortstops with 27 defensive runs saved (second-highest among any position player). He posted a .985 fielding percentage (nine errors in 601 total chances) in 138 games at shortstop (134 starts).
Ackley, 24, tied for third among AL second basemen with 11 defensive runs saved. In 142 starts at second base he made seven errors for a .989 fielding percentage in 639 chances.
Gold Glove award winners will be announced at 6 p.m. Tuesday on ESPN2. Each manager and up to six coaches on his staff voted from a pool of qualified players in each league, and were not able to vote for players on their own team.
- P: Jeremy Hellickson, Rays; Jake Peavy, White Sox; C.J. Wilson, Angels.
- C: Alex Avila, Tigers; Russell Martin, Yankees; A.J. Pierzynski, White Sox; Matt Wieters, Orioles.
- 1B: Adrian Gonzalez, Red Sox; Eric Hosmer, Royals; Mark Teixeira, Yankees.
- 2B: Dustin Ackley, Mariners; Robinson Cano, Yankees; Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox
- 3B: Adrian Beltre, Rangers; Brandon Inge, Athletics; Mike Moustakas, Royals.
- SS: Elvis Andrus, Rangers; J.J. Hardy, Orioles; Brendan Ryan, Mariners.
- LF: Alex Gordon, Royals; Desmond Jennings, Rays; David Murphy, Rangers.
- CF: Austin Jackson, Tigers; Adam Jones, Orioles; Mike Trout, Angels.
- RF: Shin-Soo Choo, Indians; Jeff Francoeur, Royals; Josh Reddick, Athletics.
- P: Bronson Arroyo, Reds; Mark Buehrle; Marlins; Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers.
- C: Yadier Molina, Cardinals; Miguel Montero, Diamondbacks; Carlos Ruiz, Phillies.
- 1B: Freddie Freeman, Braves; Adam LaRoche, Nationals; Joey Votto, Reds.
- 2B: Darwin Barney, Cubs; Aaron Hill, Diamondbacks; Brandon Phillips, Reds.
- 3B: Chase Headley, Padres; Aramis Ramirez, Brewers; David Wright, Mets.
- SS: Zack Cozart, Reds; Ian Desmond, Nationals; Jose Reyes, Marlins; Jimmy Rollins, Phillies
- LF: Ryan Braun, Brewers; Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies; Martin Prado, Braves.
- CF: Michael Bourn, Braves; Andrew McCutchen, Pirates; Drew Stubbs, Reds.
- RF: Jay Bruce, Reds; Andre Ethier, Dodgers; Jason Heyward, Braves.
Three former Mariners, Adrian Beltre (Texas), Adam Jones (Baltimore) and Shin-Soo Choo (Cleveland) received Gold Glove nominations.
The Mariners have not had a Gold Glove recipient since 2010 when outfielders Ichiro and Frank Gutierrez were honored.