After the Seahawks failed to pick up the fifth-year option on Bruce Irvin’s contract 10 days ago, which would have cost the team $7.8 million in 2016, Irvin sent out a couple of tweets expressing his anger. Now, Seattle’s first-round pick in the 2012 draft says he won’t be playing for the Seahawks after the 2015 season.
“I’m going to be in Atlanta next season (2016),” Irvin told BlackSportsOnline.com Wednesday night. “I’m ready.”
During the interview, the linebacker was asked if he would remain in Seattle if the Seahawks sweetened their offer following the 2015 season.
“Atlanta is where I want to be,” Irvin replied. “Believe that.”
Irvin grew up in Atlanta and attended Stockbridge High School before transferring to Stephenson High in Stone Mountain, GA.
During a radio appearance earlier this month, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said he hadn’t given a second thought to acquiring Irvin because the linebacker is under contract.
Irvin said he would like to be re-united with Dan Quinn, his defensive coordinator in Seattle. Quinn was hired by the Falcons as their head coach following Seattle’s loss to New England in the Super Bowl.
Seattle head coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider said they would like to re-sign Irvin, but the deal would be for less money than Irvin is scheduled to make.
The 27-year-old Irvin made 37 tackles for the NFC champions in 2014 and recorded 6.5 sacks.
The Seahawks have awarded substantial extensions to cornerback Richard Sherman and safety Earl Thomas, and are working on another for linebacker Bobby Wagner. The Seahawks are also facing the daunting prospect of negotiating a deal with quarterback Russell Wilson.