Seahawks CBRichard Sherman Wednesday characterized the possibility of the NFL stripping the team of a high draft pick over its failure to disclose his MCL injury as “foolishness” and “harsh.” Sherman made his remarks to ESPN following an NFC practice session in Orlando for Sunday’s Pro Bowl.
“I don’t know if that should be the retribution,” Sherman told the network. “I don’t know what the course should be. But I think that’s (losing a high pick) a bit harsh.”
During his season-ending press conference two weeks ago, coach Pete Carroll disclosed that Sherman had been battling an MCL injury for roughly half the season. But the team did not disclose that information, as required, on weekly injury reports. ESPN’s Chris Mortenson subsequently reported that the NFL began an investigation and that the Seahawwks potentially faced the loss of a second-round draft pick.
The Seahawks had previously been punished by the league for a string of OTA violations. Last September, they were docked a 2017 fifth-round pick for running overzealous off-season practices (excessive contact) in violation of league rules. The NFL also fined the team $400,000 and Carroll $200,000.
“I heard some foolishness like that,” Sherman said of the possible loss of a No. 2 pick. “That’s just unfortunate. I think they (the NFL) kind of are a little too hard on our team for no reason. I think if there’s other teams that kind of just got docked for the same thing, so it’s going to be curious how they treat the other teams.”
Sherman confirmed that he played “banged up,” for part of the year but missed no practices or games, and insisted that playing banged up was part of the deal.
“You know, everybody plays banged up. It’s a rough sport,” Sherman said. “You just keep playing. It is what it is. I’m good enough to be out here at the Pro Bowl. So I’m good enough. All these guys are banged up, nicked up. It just is what it is. Football is violent. It’s a 100 percent injury rate.”