The Mariners signed LHP Oliver Perez to a minor league contract Wednesday and invited him to spring training. A veteran of nine major league seasons with San Diego (2002-2003), Pittsburgh (2003-2006) and the New York Mets (2006-2010), the 30-year-old Perez has a 58-69 career record with a 4.63 ERA (572 ER, 1,111.2 IP) and 628 strikeouts in 206 games (195 starts).
Perez did not play in the majors in 2011. But he did appear in 23 games, all in relief, for the Tomateros de Culiacan in the Mexican Winter League this off-season, going 0-2 with a 0.63 ERA (1 ER, 14.1 IP) with 19 strikeouts.
Perez also spent the entire 2011 season with the AA Harrisburg Senators in the Washington Nationals organization. He went 3-5, 3.09 ERA (26 ER, 75.2 IP) with 58 strikeouts in 16 games including 15 starts.
Originally signed as an amateur free agent by the San Diego Padres on March 4, 1999, Perez hadvhis best season in 2007, when he went 15-10 in 29 starts for the Mets. He also won 12 games for Pittsburgh in 2004 and 10 games for the Mets in 2008.
Perez is 1-2 lifetime (5.48 ERA) against the Mariners. He defeated Seattle 5-3 June 16, 2002 while pitching for the Padres.
Mariners Offseason News/Transactions
- Nov. 1: Chris Gwynn named the organizations Director of Player Development with the responsibility of overseeing all aspects of the Mariners minor league system.
- Nov. 2: Outrighted INF Luis Rodriguez, who opted to become a free agent (Rodriguez appeared in 44 games for the Mariners in 2011).
- Nov. 3: Outrighted LHP Anthony Vasquez to AAA Tacoma. Vasquez, 25, made seven starts for the Mariners in 2011, going 1-6 with an 8.90 ERA (29 ER, 29.1 IP).
- Nov. 18: Added OF Chih-Hsien Chiang, INF Francisco Martinez and INF Carlos Triunfel to the 40-man roster.
- Nov. 28: Named infielder/outfielder Vinnie Catricala (High Desert/Jackson) Minor League Player of the Year, RHP Taijuan Walker (Clinton) Pitcher of the Year and Arizona League trainer Randy Roetter Player Development Staff Member of the Year.
- Dec. 2: Announced the 2012 minor league coaching staff: Returning managers Daren Brown (Tacoma), Jim Pankovits (Jackson) and Eddie Menchaca (Clinton); Pedro Grifol, the Mariners director of minor league operations in 2011, will manage High Desert; Jose Moreno will manage Pulaski after spending last season with High Desert; Rob Mummau will take over as manager for Everett; a Mike Kinkade will manage the Mariners in the Arizona League after coaching in Everett last season.
- Dec. 12: RHP Dan Cortes and C Chris Gimenez were not offered 2012 contracts.
- Dec. 13: Signed 11 players to minor league contracts for the 2012 season, including OF Darren Ford, RHP Matt Fox, LHP Steve Garrison, RHP Jarrett Grube, LHP Sean Henn, RHP Josh Kinney, RHP Jeff Marquez, RHP Scott Patterson, C Guillermo Quiroz, INF Luis Rodriguez and LHP Phillippe Valiquette.
- Jan. 30: Signed LHP George Sherrill, who previously pitched for the club from 2004-07, to a one-year contract.
- Jan. 3: Hired Jeff Pentland as hitting coach of the Tacoma Rainiers.
- Jan. 5: Signed Japanese right-handed pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma as a free agent.
- Jan. 10: Signed right-handed pitcher Aaron Heilman to a minor league contract with an invite to major league spring training.
- Jan. 11: Signed Japanese infielder Munenori Kawasaki to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training.
- Jan. 14: Traded RHP Michael Pineda and pitching prospect Jose Campas to the New York Yankees in exchange for C Jeseus Montero and Hector Noesi.
- Jan. 17: Signed RHPs Brandon League and Shawn Kelley and LHP Jason Vargas to one year contracts; announced that former Mariners Randy Johnson (1989-98) and Dan Wilson (1994-05) would be inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame July 28 at Safeco Field.
- Jan. 17: Signed LHP Oliver Perez to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.